- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems or equivalent discipline from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 5 years developing enterprise-level applications in a complex, heterogeneous computing environment
- Experience developing for mobile devices and responsive web pages for various platforms, including iOS and Android.
- Familiarity with Single Sign On solutions such as CAS, Shibboleth, and SAML
- Strong knowledge of various programming and web design concepts, including APIs, user experience (UX), and user interface (UI) design
- Experience working with graphic designers to collaborate on projects, from ideation to implementation
- Strong ability to work both independently and as a part of a cross-functional team
- Flexibility to work outside business hours for system maintenance activities
- Excellent problem solving skills, flexible and able to handle multiple responsibilities and competing demands
- Excellent project management skills with proven ability to lead
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills to work in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment with students, faculty, and staff
- A commitment to diversity, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within ArtCenter’s diverse communities
- Ability to handle all information with tact and discretion and recognize the confidential nature of ArtCenter’s business
- Industry experience in higher education
- Experience with agile development
Technical Duties — 80%
Operational Duties — 20%
- Develop and maintain campus websites and web-based applications including, but not limited to, ArtCenter's main website, Public Programs’ websites (ArtCenter at Night, ArtCenter for Teens, and ArtCenter for Kids), e-commerce, real-time web services for Ellucian Colleague (ArtCenter's ERP system) and its self-service web interfaces
- Build and optimize websites for performance and security, as well as search engine optimization. Lead efforts and help develop and/or integrate sites utilizing Wikis, blogs, and other content management systems, and e-mail scripting
- Architect and develop various types of mobile and web-based applications using best-of-breed technologies such as Java, J2EE, XML, CMS and SOA. Develop and maintain leading edge e-commerce applications using service accounts such as Paypal Payflow
- Collaborate with fellow team members and partnering departments, including Marketing & Communications, to help design, ensure technical feasibility of, and implement web-based and mobile solutions fulfilling client’s application requirements in production, test, and development environments
- Ensure system performance, scalability, security, availability and maintainability through unit test scripts, code review, QA controls, and adherence to standard software development life cycle methodologies
- Research a variety of internal customer requests and manage enhancements, changes, as well as handle project management duties for web-related technology implementations
- Apply project management principles to project planning, execution, reporting, and documentation
- Stay informed of new developments and technologies; adapt quickly to new technologies and robust toolkits; gain strong understanding of user experience and interaction with their mobile devices
- Develop and maintain appropriate system documentation and formulate standards for system management
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction to lower level staff
Marginal (Non-essential) Job Functions — 5%
- Participate in college committees
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Demands and Working Environment
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed primarily in standard office and computer lab settings with frequent interruptions and distractions; extended periods of time viewing computer monitor; and interactions with other individuals. Due to the nature of the work environment, there is regular exposure to fumes, chemicals, dust and noise.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in office and computer lab settings; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight (up to 50 pounds); to operate modern office and computer equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Vision: Must be able to have the visual capacity to perform activities such as preparing and reading reports, viewing a computer terminal and other normal office work with or without correction.
Hearing: Must be able to communicate effectively in the course of normal office communication or exchange ideas with or without correction.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the employee assigned to this job; they do not purport to describe all functions. Employees may be assigned other duties, and the essential functions may be changed from time to time as necessary.
Job updated 06/2018.
ArtCenter College of Design is committed to excellence through the establishment of a diverse faculty and staff that best represents our student body and its surrounding communities. The College considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Applicants who wish to request an accommodation for a disability may contact the Human Resources Department at (626) 396-2270.